Bringing California government and people together to create solutions.
Engage with the State of California and help us find new ways of solving our government’s most pressing challenges.
2019 California Mass Timber Building Competition
The California Mass Timber Building Competition is being hosted by the California Government Operations Agency and administered by WoodWorks – Wood Products Council.
GovOps will award $500,000 in grants.
Complete criteria, application details and an RFP will be released in mid-December. Please check back for updates.
Grants will be awarded to selected design and development teams (commercial and residential) pursuing mid-rise and high-rise mass timber buildings in two California municipalities.
Our goal is to support selected proponent(s) who can utilize existing research, available technical expertise and incremental funding to safely design and construct demonstration projects in California that showcase the application, repeatability and sustainability of innovative wood-based structural building solutions.
Proponent teams must include real estate developers and their design and construction team partners. Proposals must include the following:
- Information demonstrating that the project is at an advanced stage of design
- Creative, well-developed mass timber assembly solutions with broad market applicability
- Clearly outlined building permit approval hurdles that can be overcome with effective presentation of supporting information or peer reviews
- Clearly demonstrated close working relationship with local and state building officials
- Narrative regarding sustainability objectives and energy use goals and how they’ll be achieved by using mass timber solutions
- A statement that non-proprietary information about the design of the project and solutions developed with competition funds will be available and can be communicated broadly by the competition funders and managing partners
By showcasing the architectural and commercial viability of advanced wood products in construction, the California Mass Timber Building Competition is intended to support employment opportunities in rural communities, maintain the health and resiliency of California forests and advance sustainability in the built environment.
California is the largest consumer of engineered wood products west of the Mississippi River, yet almost none is produced in the state. By showcasing opportunities for mass timber, the Government Operations Agency seeks to demonstrate the potential for in-state production while advancing its climate change and green building objectives. Mass timber is more commonly used for construction in Europe, but the last decade has also seen a dramatic increase in use as a structural element in North America; Canada and Oregon, in particular, have experienced considerable success in making these products mainstream. As a construction material, mass timber is favored by designers for its strength, affordability, aesthetics, construction efficiency, structural performance, light carbon footprint, and ability to substitute for or work alongside concrete, steel, or masonry as a structural element. Demonstration projects are needed in California to familiarize local permitting agencies, architects, and developers with these products.
Send us your event!
If you have a government civic engagement event in California, submit the details to share on this website.